Experience gifts are perfect for families who want to spend quality time together. They also make great gifts for individuals who want to learn a new skill or hobby.
This year, everyone is being cautious about crowds and parties. Despite that, most of us are already in the gift choosing mode since Christmas is just around the corner. And whether you are online shopping or going to stores, the isolating effects of this year have put experience gifts at the top of everyone’s list.
Experience Gifts Last Longer
Many moms and dads have begun to look at gift giving a bit differently than they have in past years. The idea of spending on presents that are often tossed to the side when the holidays end, is not what they want for their children.
A study in 2017, found that US parents spent an average of $330 per child at Christmas time. That’s hundreds of dollars on items that were later forgotten about or discarded.
Putting money towards an experience rather than a toy creates a lasting impression and memory.
Ideas for Experience Gifts
We don’t want our children to have disappointed faces when they burst into the living room on Christmas morning. But we do think that the less stuff and more activities are ideas that make a lot of sense.
Giving gifts to the ones you love will always be satisfying and joyful. The question is, are we drowning in too much stuff?
It turns out that the average child in the developed world owns more than 200 toys but only plays with 12 or less of them on an average day. Even more incredible is the fact that 3 percent of the world’s children living in the US own 40+ percent of the world’s toys.
Experience Gifts for Teens
Teens are constantly hungry for new experiences. There are so many things they want to try, see, and enjoy.
The following ideas are just a few that might make your teen’s eyes glow:
• Depending on the sport your teenager favors the most, purchasing tickets for a game of their favorite team is likely to be his or her best present ever. The special thing about this gift is the anticipation your child will feel before you set out for the game.
• Some teens are into the theater and want to see every new play or musical that comes to your town. This type of teenager will be more than delighted by theater tickets for him or her, and you. The same idea works beautifully for teens into ballet, modern dance, or specific musicians or bands.
• A lift ticket for the slopes is always another teen favorite. Whether you have a teen that likes snowboarding or skiing, a season pass is a great option. These winter sports are outdoor activities that don’t require close proximity to others. But they do provide a shared experience even while practicing social distancing.
• As everyone knows, teens would rather be with other teens than with adults. If you are lucky enough to have local interactive experiences such as an Escape Room, zipline park, trampoline park, or rock-climbing gym, a group ticket for your young adult will earn you kudos.
Younger Children or Any Age
Getting out and trying new things are what experience gifts are all about. Younger children have yet to experience a lot that life has to offer. Exposing them to new activities will help foster a sense of self-discovery – a truth at any age.
The following are activity gift ideas for anyone who likes to try new things:
• Art classes
• Gift cards for their favorite treats
• Movie passes
• Hot air balloon ride
• Gymnastics classes
• Subscription boxes
• Cooking class
• Working with your local animal shelter
• Music lessons
• Amusement park tickets
• Camping trips
• Horseback riding lessons
A Lifesaving Gift
Many families want to find a gift that is not an object but rather an experience. That’s because experiences are more memorable, enlightening, and exciting than any other gift a person receives.
One experience gift that keeps on giving throughout your child’s life is swimming lessons. And, knowing your child has the skills to prevent themselves from drowning, is a gift for you as well.
Njswim has six locations in New Jersey, so finding a swim school nearby is easy. We have pledged our support to the communities we serve to maintain a clean and safe environment.
We offer quality year-round swim lessons for all ages and abilities. We have:
• Private and small classes
• Warm, comfortable water temperature
• Highly qualified swimming teachers
• Intelligent skill level progression for your child
• Water safety skill skills training
• Positive learning experiences
• A family-friendly environment
Our philosophy is the Learn-to-Float curriculum that promotes balance and buoyancy in the water. We are experienced in understanding that every child is different. We take a gentle, serene approach in our lessons. But, best of all, we make learning to swim fun.
Giving a young one the gift of learning to swim is possibly the smartest and most loving gift you can give. A gift card includes a Free Swim Skills Evaluation for all new students so that we can determine the best swim class level for your child. And, yes, we have Water Babies classes that start at 3 months!
Give the gift that will make a dramatic difference in you and your child’s life. Give the gift of swimming. Contact us today for more information.