American Red Cross Lifeguard Training and Certification
Njswim offers American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification and Re-certification classes throughout the year.
In this class you will learn all the basics of water safety and how to correctly prevent, recognize, and respond to emergencies in the water.
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Approximately 25 hours
Currently certified Lifeguarding instructors or instructor trainers
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass both the Section 1—CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid and Section 2—Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period
American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED: 2 years